2 pints blueberries (4 cups)
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg, well beaten with
1 pinch salt, for egg washing top of pie
2 tablespoons sugar, for top of pie
2 individual pie crusts
1. Combine 1 cup berries with 3/4 cup sugar in pan.
2. Simmer on low heat until sugar is melted and mixture is very liquid; about 5 minutes.
3. Combine cornstarch and water in bowl.
4. Add to pan with blueberries.
5. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to full boil and is clear and thick.
6. Pour hot mixture into large bowl.Cool until warm.
7. Fold in remaining 3 cups of blueberries, lemon rind, cinnamon,nutmeg and butter.
8. Let cool before adding to pie crust.
9. Add top crust and brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
10. Preheat oven to 400°F but reduce heat to 375°F when you put pie in oven. Bake about 40 minutes. Check pie halfway through baking; cover edges with a strip of foil if edges are getting too brown.
11. This technique works for any delicate fruit such as raspberries or strawberries.
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Calories from Fat 168 42%
Total Fat 18.7 g 28%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g 28%
Cholesterol 30.9 mg 10%
Sodium 263.8 mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g 18%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g 14%
Sugars 29.4 g 117%
Protein 4.2 g 8%